Milper Message Number 17-115
1. This message will expire on 31 Mar 18.
2. The Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Personnel and Readiness) has
announced the award of the Armed Forces Service Medal (AFSM) for Operation
OAKEN STEEL (OOS). The AFSM is approved for the period of 12 Jul 16 through
26 Jan 17.
3. The OOS designated Area Of Eligibility (AOE) is the land area, territorial waters
out to 12 nautical miles, and airspace of: South Sudan, Republic of Djibouti, and
4. To qualify for the AFSM for OOS, Soldiers must meet the following eligibility
criteria per reference A above:
a. Soldiers must have been permanently assigned, attached, or detailed to a unit
that deployed to participate in OOS within the designated AOE for 30 consecutive
days (or for the full period when an operation is less than 30 days), or for 60 non-
b. Aircrew members must have served as a regularly assigned crew member on an
aircraft flying into, out of, within, or over the AOE in direct support of OOS for 30
consecutive days or 60 non-consecutive days. One day of service is credited for
the first sortie flown on any day. Additional sorties flown on the same day receive
no further credit.
c. The AFSM recognizes participants who deploy to the designated AOE for the
qualifying operation. Outstanding or meritorious performance of non-deployed or
remotely located support units and individuals does not justify awarding the AFSM.
Such performance may be recognized by the appropriate unit or service award.
5. The AFSM denotes honorable performance of military duties during specified
dates and geographical areas. The AFSM is awarded only for active federal military
service. Soldiers must provide evidence which substantiates direct participation in
OOS to their servicing personnel office. Orders are not published for the AFSM,
but receipt is annotated in the Soldier’s Army Military Human Resources Record
by the servicing personnel office. A bronze service star will be worn to denote
second or subsequent awards of the AFSM.
6. These changes will be incorporated into the next revision of AR 600-8-22.
7. For clarification or questions regarding this action, contact the Awards and
Decorations Branch, AHRC-PDP-A, 502-613-9126, 983-9126 (DSN), or by e-mail