Placeholder canvas

DoD to review unjust service discharge for veterans

Custom Search

DoD to review unjust service discharge for veterans

WASHINGTON– The Defense Department Friday announced a renewed effort to
ensure veterans are aware of the opportunity to have their discharges and military
records reviewed, according to a DOD news release.

Through enhanced public outreach; engagement with veterans’ service organizations,
military service organizations, and other outside groups; as well as direct outreach to
individual veterans, the department encourages all veterans who believe they have
experienced an error or injustice to request relief from their service’s Board for
Correction of Military/Naval Records or Discharge Review Board, the release said.


With Friday’s announcement, the department is reaffirming its intention to review and
potentially upgrade the discharge status of all individuals who are eligible and who
apply, the release said.

Additionally, all veterans, VSOs, MSOs, and other interested organizations are invited
to offer feedback on their experiences with the BCM/NR or DRB processes, including
how the policies and processes can be improved, the release said.

In the past few years, the department has issued guidance for consideration of post-
traumatic stress disorder, as well as the repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy
and its predecessor policies, the release said. Additionally, supplemental guidance
for separations involving victims of sexual assault is currently being considered.

The department is reviewing and consolidating all of the related policies to reinforce
the department’s commitment to ensuring fair and equitable review of separations for
all veterans, the release said.

Whether the discharge or other correction is the result of PTSD, sexual orientation,
sexual assault, or some other consideration, the department is committed to rectifying
errors or injustices and treating all veterans with dignity and respect.

Veterans are encouraged to apply for review if they desire a correction to their service
record or believe their discharge was unjust, erroneous, or warrants an upgrade.

For discharge upgrades, if the discharge was less than 15 years ago, the veteran
should complete DD Form 293 and send it to their
service’s DRB (the address is on the form).  

For discharges over 15 years ago, the veteran should complete the DD Form 149 and send it to their
service’s BCM/NR (the address is on the form).  

——————– See the 2017 U.S. Military Pay Charts ->