skip to content

New Army Tuition Assistance Program

Also, Soldiers can take up to 16 semester hours per fiscal year. And, he continued, TA can be used for a
post-baccalaureate degree after completing 10 years of military service. If a Soldier earned a BA degree without
using TA, then they do not need to wait 10 years to use TA for a post-baccalaureate degree.

This policy affects all Soldiers in the active and Reserve components.

Based on current participation rates, Dr. Pamela L. Raymer, director, Army Continuing Education System,
forecasted the number of Soldiers impacted as follows:

Those who would have used TA with less than one year’s service after IET: 4,030 active, 3,017 Army National
Guard and 1,216 Army Reserve. Soldiers who would normally have taken more than 16 semester hours per year:
20,271 active, 6,206 Guard and 12,007 Reserve. Soldiers with less than 10 years’ service pursuing
post-baccalaureate degrees: 1,315 active, 220 Guard and 367 Reserve.
Other TA policy from 2013 will remain in effect next year, she said, including allowing Soldiers to use up to $250
per semester hour.

The cap of 130 semester hours for baccalaureate degree completion and 39 semester hours for a master’s
degree remains in effect. This coursework must be from the Soldier’s approved degree plan in GoArmyEd, a plan
Soldiers develop with their education counselor and their home school, she said.

Also remaining in effect, Raymer said, is that TA cannot be used for a second, equivalent degree. For instance, if
a Soldier has a master’s degree, he or she can’t use TA for a second master’s degree.

Soldiers still cannot use TA for their “first professional degree.” Such degrees include Ph.D, MD and JD. The
Department of Education categorizes these degrees as “first-professional” degrees. Army has fully-funded
education programs that support these degree programs.

Soldiers who have been flagged for adverse action or failure of the Army physical fitness test or weight standards
will not be able to use TA, she continued.

Soldiers may also continue using TA for non-degree language courses published on the Defense Department’s
Strategic Language List as “immediate investment” or “emerging” languages. TA cannot be used for “enduring
languages.” To see this list of languages, see a unit education advisor.

Finally, TA is authorized for one post-secondary certificate or diploma such as welding or computer certification.
And, TA can continue to be used for courses leading to initial teacher certification programs.

Soldiers who are precluded from using TA or limited by the number of semester hours they’re eligible to take can,
nonetheless, use their GI Bill education benefits.
Need more promotion points? Get college credit and Promotion points for your Military Training and
Experience. Find Schools that accept Military Training and experience near you or online, not all schools accept all
training so be sure to check with a couple of your top schools to see which one suits your educational needs.

Find Military Friendly Schools near your home or online degree programs.