College Credits for Military Training and Experience
Custom Search
Around the web
College Credits for Military Training and Experience

Many states want college students who served in Iraq and Afghanistan to get academic credit for their military
training and experience. The challenge is figuring out how many credits that training and experience is worth.

At least 26 states have passed legislation directing their boards of education to develop statewide policies to
provide academic credit to the largest influx of veterans since the end of World War II, according to the National
Conference of State Legislatures. The Education Commission of the States, a Denver-based nonprofit
organization, says 19 states have enacted related legislation in the last two years alone.

"There's a lot of interest in a lot of different circles [in helping] veterans," said Cathy Sandeen of the American
Council on Education (ACE), which represents the presidents of U.S. colleges and universities.

More than 2,300 schools rely on ACE to review various types of military training and experience and recommend
how to translate them into academic credits. But as is the case with AP exams or transfers from another school,
each school makes the final decision on how much credit, if any, to award.

"The problem is it's just a recommendation, and schools can choose whether or not to accept it," said Michael
Dakduk, who heads the Student Veterans of America, a coalition of student veterans groups on college campuses.
Dakduk served as a Marine in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

The first step to claiming the credits you have earned is to request a transcript from your military service. Each
service will provide unofficial personal copies and send schools an official copy of your transcript at no charge.

The Military uses the
Joint Service Transcripts System (JST), which automatically captures your academic credits
from military training, and Standardized tests. The JST system is available to enlisted Soldiers only.

See Also:
Army Tuition Assistance Policy -- What to expect at WLC  --  GT Score Improvement
Early Separation for College -- College of the American Soldier -- SOCAD Degrees -- Civil Affairs Jobs
Resident Military Courses -- Transition to Army Reserve -- GI Bill to Start a Business
Army Master Leaders Course -- Criminal Justice Degree

Find Military Friendly Schools near your home or online degree programs. There are many schools that
offer college credit for your Basic training, AIT, WLC, ALC, SLC and many other military training courses
Share |
This is not a Government Sponsored website. We are not affiliated with the
American Counsel on Education or the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Frequent Searches
1. Army MOS 11B                        6. Counseling
2. DA Form 31                            7. DA 4187
3. SOC Colleges                        8. Tuition Assistance
4. ERB issues                             9. NCOER Appeal
5. Earn a College Degree      10. FM 6-22
Custom Search
Want more information? You can view degree programs and schools near you or online