MILPER Message 9-273 Issued 03 September 2019
1. This message will expire one year after the issue date.
2. On 13 June 2019, the Assistant Secretary of the Army (Manpower and Reserve Affairs)
approved the establishment of the Expert Soldier Badge (ESB). The badge will be awarded
to Soldiers who successfully meet all requirements established by the U.S. Army Training and
Doctrine Command (TRADOC).
3. The basic eligibility criteria for the ESB are as follows:
a. Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) requirement: All Regular Army, Army National
Guard/Army National Guard of the United States and U.S. Army Reserve Soldiers except those
in Infantry, Special Forces, and Medical career management fields can compete for the ESB.
The ESB may be awarded to foreign military personnel in accordance with paragraph 8-4.
b. The authority to test and award the badge is as follows:
(1) The U.S. Army Center for Initial Military Training (CIMT) is the sole authority to authorize
ESB testing and award the ESB.
(2) Soldiers must meet prerequisites established by TRADOC.
(3) The CIMT will appoint senior noncommissioned officers to serve as ESB test managers.
(4) The CIMT will provide a certificate and orders awarding the ESB to Soldiers completing all
standards of the ESB test.
4. The ESB may be not be awarded retroactively, with the exception of those members of
the test team unit specifically identified by TRADOC.
5. The CIMT will forward orders awarding the ESB to the Interactive Personnel Electronic
Records Management System (iPERMS) to update the Soldier’s Army Military Human Resource
Record, in accordance with reference E. The data code for updating eMILPO and other Army
systems is currently in development. On release, the code may be referenced using the HRC
Metadata Helper. To use the Helper, type the award category (e.g. "CBTSPB") into the default
search field at the following link: https://hrcmetahelper.hrc.army.mil/TessSnameSearch.aspx.
Once the results are returned, select the "V" link under "Value." That link will display all award
codes under that category.
6. The ESB will be worth 30 promotion points, this will be reflected in the next update to AR600-8-19.
7. The ESB is authorized for wear on the Army Service Uniform, the Army Combat Uniform,
and the Dress Uniform. Follow the same wear guidance specified in references B and C until new
revisions are published. The ESB is categorized as a Combat, Specialty or Skill Badge (CBTSPB).
It is expected to be placed after the Expert Field Medical Badge.
8. The ESB is in development and not yet available for purchase or order. TRADOC is the point
of contact for status updates, but units should not expect any updates before 1 October 2019.
9. Points of contact for this message are the Awards and Decorations Branch (AHRC-PDP-A) at
firstname.lastname@example.org or the TRADOC CIMT Team at
See Also New Military Pay Charts >>
|MILPER Message 19-273 Announcement of the Expert Soldier Badge
This is not a Government Sponsored website
Army NCO Counseling Pack All in one Updated August 2019
Counseling Soldiers has always been a challenge for new Noncommissioned
Officers so our team of NCOs has created over 60 Counseling Statement
Examples with updated forms and regulations to provide all NCOs the best
resource needed to produce clean and to the point counseling statements.
Product features include:
- Over 60 Counseling Statement Examples in PDF Format
- Free Quarterly Updates sent to you by Email
- 24/7 Support via Email and Live Chat
- Download to your Smart Phone or Tablet so you can work anywhere
- Includes the Army Legal Handbook, Senior NCO and NCOER Guides
- Money Back Guarantee
New Product Sale $9.99 (Retail $59.99)
Time remaining to Order at sale price
Late For Duty
Under Age Drinking
Failure to Report
Diagnostic APFT Failure
Low APFT Score Prior to BLC
Overweight Prior to BLC
Failure to Conduct Risk Assessment
Disobeying an Order
Drunk on Duty
Letter of Reprimand
Negligent Weapons Discharge
Improper Use of Prescription Drugs
Off Limits Areas
No Contact Order
Family Care Plan
Initial Counseling PVT-SPC
Loss Military Property
Lost Military ID Card
Bar To Reenlist
Government Travel Card
Initial Family Care Plan
Invalid Family Care Plan
NCO Quarterly Counseling
AWOL Letter Home
AWOL Point Paper
GT Score Improvement
Off Duty Employment
Good Job Counseling
Good Conduct Medal Not Approved
Failure to Follow the Chain of Command
Includes the following Counseling Examples:
MILPER Message 19-273 Announcement of the Expert Soldier Badge