|Update to Reclassification In/Out Calls
1. Effective 15 Jan 20, this MILPER message
supersedes reference D and will expire no later than 15
2. General: This message is used for Regular Army
reclassification purposes in conjunction with above
references. In/Out calls are changed as needed based
on the strength of the military occupational specialty
(MOS) and are immediately posted on the Army’s
RETAIN system. The In/Out call data on RETAIN takes
precedence when a discrepancy exists between
RETAIN and the current MILPER message.
3. All requests for reclassification are processed
through the unit retention office to U.S. Army Human
Resources Command (HRC) via the RETAIN system.
4. Rules: a. Soldiers within the reenlistment window,
as established by the Army G1, are only authorized
to change their primary MOS (PMOS) through
reenlistment. They are not eligible to request a
b. To be authorized reclassification out of current
PMOS, there must be a "Y" under the out call column
at the current grade. The following exceptions are
(1) Ranger qualified Soldiers in the rank of SGT, non-
promotable and below, may request reclassification
into MOS 11B without regard to the In/Out calls.
Training may not be required for this action at the
discretion of HRC.
(2) Soldiers in any enlisted Career Management Field
(CMF) may apply for service within the 75th Ranger
Regiment. Upon completion of the Ranger Assessment
and Selection Program and prior to Ranger assignment,
Soldiers who possess an MOS that is not authorized
within the 75th Ranger Regiment will be reclassified in
accordance with Regimental strengths. The 75th Ranger
Regimental Commander and HRC will make the final
decision on reclassification.
(3) Soldiers may request reclassification into CMF 18,
or MOS 12P, 17C, 17E, 25D, 25E, 31D, 35L, 37F, 79R
(SSG only), 79S and 89D regardless of the In/Out calls
for current PMOS. HRC will make the final decision on
reclassification approval based on strengths.
Additionally, only Soldiers who are serving or have
served in a special qualification identifier (SQI) “4”
position may request reclassification into MOS 79R.
(4) Soldiers accepted for or reenlisting to continue
service in a nominative/special management
assignment, as determined by HRC, are exempt
from listed out calls.
(5) Soldiers authorized to reenlist for a selective
retention bonus (SRB) that is additional skill identifier
(ASI)/SQI specific or location specific are exempt from
listed out calls.
c. To be authorized reclassification for a new MOS,
there must be a "Y" under the in call column at the
d. An MOS listed with numbers has restrictions or
exceptions for specific ranks. The list below contains
the restriction/exception which corresponds to the
(1) In calls for specialists are open to non-promotables
(2) In calls for sergeants are open to non-promotables
(3) Out calls for non-airborne qualified Soldiers only.
(4) In calls are open for balanced and over strength
(5) In calls for specialists are open to promotables only.
(6) In calls for sergeants are open to promotables only.
(7) In calls are for airborne qualified Soldiers only.
(8) MOS is identified for Precision Retention restrictions
for Out Calls, see current Precision Retention MILPER
5. The following table identifies a shortage, balanced,
and over strength MOS by rank:
Download the MILPER Message >> 2020 Pay Charts >
This is not a government sponsored website any information contained here is for reference only and
should not be taken as legal advice always consult an attorney before making any legal decisions
MILPER Message 19-412
Update to Reclassification In/Out Calls